xf86-drivers-video-intel: How to use MergedFB sweetness on 965GM

JM Ibanez jm at orangeandbronze.com
Thu Jun 28 02:07:36 PDT 2007

Alberto Milone <albertomilone at alice.it> writes:

> JM Ibanez wrote:
>>     3. Hook up external monitor. In a terminal, type:
>>
>>        $ xrandr --output VGA --left-of LVDS --auto
>>
>>        which should put the external monitor left of your laptop panel,
>>        and set it to the preferred monitor mode. You can also do:
>>
>>        $ xrandr --output VGA --right-of LVDS --auto
>>        $ xrandr --output VGA --above LVDS --auto
>>        $ xrandr --output VGA --below LVDS --auto
>>
> Shouldn't he set the Virtual Desktop resolution in the Screen section of
> his xorg.conf first?

OOH! Yeah, that slipped my mind. :D Thanks!

To do that, add the following line to the "Display" subsection of the
"Screen" section for your display:

	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1280x800"
                # The line below
		Virtual		2720 900
	EndSubSection

Make sure it's as wide as your laptop's pixel width + an external
monitor's pixel width and as tall as your tallest monitor, if you want
side-by-side (in my case, that's 1280 + 1440, with 900 since my external
monitors are 1440x900). Tweak the other way 'round for a stacked
configuration.

--
JM Ibanez
Software Architect