[x11] Application persistency even when DISPLAY connection is lost

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Fri Mar 2 18:37:58 PST 2007

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 16:48:23 -0800 John Klingler <john at jupiter.com> babbled:

> Unfortunately, Xlib exits when a display connection is broken.
> In order to restore an application that has exited when the
> connection can be re-established, it is necessary to have a
> parent process without a display connection to detect when the
> application has exited and restart it. I call this a "heartbeat
> monitor" and have implemented these on commercial applications.

actuallt that's incorrect. that is only the DEFAULT behavior. you can set an
xlib io handler that will stop this from happening and then re-establish the
connection. no need for a parent process, shared memory etc.

the problem is - the APP has to do this. xlib will not, as you will have now
lost all server-side and connection state.

what you want is something like vnc. run vmware and display on the vnc server -
then connect to the vncserver from anywhere with vncviewer whenever you like.