Bugs in xf86-video-intel 1.9.91 (2.0 RC1)

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Mon Mar 5 21:11:05 PST 2007

> On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 22:56 +0100, Pavel Troller wrote:
>
> >   It's 945G here, and EDID doesn't work.
>
> We've seen several LCD monitors that report EDID over DVI and fail to
> report EDID over the VGA connector. I reset some DDC I2C timing in the
> SDVO code and got several more monitors working. I'm wondering if we
> need to do the same in the generic xf86 DDC code as DDC uses much longer
> timeouts than the I2C defaults.
>
> What kind of monitor do you have, and how is it connected?
It's old LG Flatron 795FT plus, classic CRT, connected by VGA cable.

> >  Monitor section of xorg.conf is
> > totally ignored.
>
> Right, we have per-output monitors now and I haven't figured out what to
> do with the old monitor section. You can configure which monitor to use
> by setting an option in the driver section:
>
> Option "monitor-VGA" "MyVgaMonitorSection"
>
> and then creating a monitor section with the name 'MyVgaMonitorSection'.
Great, it works much better, now I can see a lot of modes which were
unavailable before. However, my favorite modes are still unavailable, now with
the following error:
(II) intel(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) intel(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) intel(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) intel(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) intel(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
At least one of them works with the standard driver, because I'm normally
using it. What needs to be specified for the new driver to enable it ?

> >  Where are the default monitor data ? I'm going to patch
> > them to allow my monitor to work at 1600x1200 as obviously.
> >   BTW there are many threads in this list complaining just about this
> > problem, and there were never any attempts (AFAIK) to find a real cause
> > and solution. I think EDID doesn't work here even with the old driver,
> > this is the reason for which I have the monitor data carefully filled in
> > xorg.conf. Why they are ignored by the new driver ?
>
> Which output should the existing monitor section be used for?
It should be used for VGA output.

> --
> keith.packard at intel.com

BTW I've detected one more bug with the new driver. After reinitializing the
server (i.e. logging out from KDE, for example), the mouse pointer is destroyed
and a square with a random-looking pattern is displayed instead.
                             With regards, Pavel Troller