[Patch] Allow to configure RANDR 1.2 outputs with no device attached

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Mon Mar 12 13:06:26 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 12:50 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 19:14 +0100, Matthias Hopf wrote:
>
> > I cannot see any particularly good reason to hide modes to the user,
> > which are not explicitly non-working (i.e. a monitor told the system
> > that it won't work). OTOH, if xrandr was able to explicitly configure
> > modelines for a non-attached output device, this would be good enough
> > for me in this case.
>
> Yes, it can certainly do that with the existing protocol; I need to go
> figure out which box I added that code on. Too many machines.
>
> Another useful option will be to have the driver report a few standard
> modes even when no outputs use them so that we can just add them to
> disconnected outputs without needing to program them explicitly from the
> client side.

If the client program is in the business of letting the user set modes
on the device that the device doesn't report on its own, doesn't the
client program really want to allow the setting of arbitrary modes (a
modeline, or enough information to generate a CVT modeline) anyway?  It
seems like having the server allocate extra unused modes isn't going to
win us anything here.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com