evdev manpage

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Wed Mar 21 07:18:12 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm using evdev 1.1.5 and xserver-xorg-core 1.2.99.902 from debian, and
I decided to bite the bullet and switch my perfectly working system
(input-device-wise) to evdev. The manpage tells me to add that:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver "evdev"
        Option "evBits"  "+1"
        Option "keyBits" "~1-255 ~352-511"
        Option "Pass"    "3"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Generic Mouse"
        Driver "evdev"
        Option "evBits"  "+1-2"
        Option "keyBits" "~272-287"
        Option "relBits" "~0-2 ~6 ~8"
        Option "Pass"    "3"
EndSection

but apparently the server doesn't agree, and sets up default mouse and
keyboard using the "traditional" drivers. I had to add options to have
this being the core pointer and core keyboard.

So:
- maybe the manpage should add the Option "CorePointer" and friend to
its example (I can provide a patch, but it looks easier to change the
manpage directly).

- do you guys think evdev is mature enough to be choosen by default by
the server if it can't find a core pointer/keyboard in the config file ?

Thanks,
	Xav