2x DVI with "intel" driver?

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.de
Sat Mar 24 01:58:20 PDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:58:00AM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 12:38 +0100, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I wonder if it is possible to use a 2x DVI setup with the "intel"
> > driver.
>
> Yes, you can even buy 2x DVI ADD2 cards that work quite nicely.

I was not aware that such a thing exists.

> > I am using a 965G board (BTX format) with VGA+DVI output. I can use
> > both outputs of the mainboard for a dualhead configuration. But after
> > plugging in an additional ADD2 card (PCIe with 1xDVI) the DVI output
> > of the mainboard is disabled.
>
> Each SDVO link uses four lanes on the PCI-E bus; I'm reasonably sure
> that problem here is that the expansion card and the built-in SDVO link
> are wired to the same set of lanes. I'm impressed that it works at all;
> my experience with SDVO cards is that when something isn't right, the
> machine won't even POST.
>
> I suspect that if you want two DVI outputs, you'll need to use a dual
> DVI card and ignore the DVI on the motherboard; I haven't seen an ADD2
> card that is designed expressly for this purpose.

So you're saying that there is no ADD2 card with Dual DVI available at
all, although you mentioned before that such a card works nicely?

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.)   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0            Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479          D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de            Germany