2x DVI with "intel" driver?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Mar 26 18:12:27 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 18:20 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 09:57 -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > I bought one from Wintec:  http://wintecind.com/oem/oem_add2_cards.htm.  I
> > think they're available from Newegg.
>
> This is a stab in the dark, but is the same thing possible on laptops
> using the CardBus/ExpressBus slot?  I've a ThinkPad with a 945GM and VGA
> output, and sorely miss DVI output for my 20" monitor.

I don't think so; SDVO isn't on every PCI-E slot, only the x16 graphics
slot. Plus, as far as I've been able to determine, SDVO can't be
hot-plugged.

Several laptops do have DVI support in their docking stations; we've
seen a couple from HP that have the SDVO-DVI chips inside the laptop and
hot-plug the DVI connection to the docking station.

Someday we'll have DVI or HDMI connections on laptops instead of VGA and
be rid of the analog horror.

keith.packard at intel.com