xf86-video-intel-1.9.93: Unstable switching from text to X

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Wed Mar 28 11:07:37 PDT 2007

> On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 16:00 +0200, Pavel Troller wrote:
> > Hi!
> >   I would like to report that the RC3 intel driver release, as well as git
> > master, is very unstable in the moment of switching from the text console
> > (intelfb) to X. At about 10% of cases it causes full system freeze, including
> > acpi and networking, so full reset is totally necessary.
>
> Does it work when switching from a regular (non-fb) console? Is there
> anything in the X log file?

Hi Keith!
  I'm sorry but I didn't try it with a regular text console. My card BIOS knows
only 80xN video modes, which are unacceptable for me. I'm operating intelfb on
1600x1200x32 as well as X. Of course I can try to boot just in pure text, but
only for a limited time, otherwise I would go bananas :-).
  The crash is obviously so "definitive" that nothing can be logged. For
example, when a sound is played, it immediately starts to loop the last DMA
buffer. Sometimes the UPS indicates a substantial increase of power consumption
(like when compiling on both cores), but sometimes not. Strange.
  I've made a photo snapshot of what is visible on the screen. It's on
http://sinus.cz/~patrol/xf86-video-intel-1.9.93-crash.jpg
  The pattern obviously changes a lot of times for about a second and then
stops like shown.
             With regards, Pavel Troller