New glucose code

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Wed Mar 28 06:29:36 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 16:07 +0100, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> Carrying on from Zack's original idea and code, I've released some new
> code on the glucose-2 branch which goes all the way to allowing xorg
> drivers to use the xgl acceleration paths.
>
> It's a simple one line call to initialize glucose in the driver as I
> mentioned in the commit message. It's...
>
> glucoseScreenInit(pScreen);
>
> So, initialization only need to change such as .....
>
> if (!exa && !xaa)
>     glucoseScreenInit(pScreen);
> else if (!exa)
>     driversXAAinit(...);
> else
>     driversEXAinit(...);
>
> It also works with Mesa's software renderer too, but is obviously slow,
> but useful as a testing harness.
>
> There's still a few niggly issues such as server shutdown causes
> failures, but I'm working on those. There are also some rendering
> glitches depending on which 3D driver you use, but they could well be
> problems in the respective 3D drivers. Usually good to test with Mesa by
> disabling DRI to check this.
>
> As I've said, all the new code is on the glucose-2 branch, but I'll be
> working to stabilize it and hopefully merge to the trunk in the future.
>
> If there's any comments, etc, post away, and feel free to bang on the
> code.
>
> Alan.

Great work Alan! This is exactly what I've been wanting to do for some
time now but never got around to it.

Do you want me to move the glucose glitz backend into the glitz repo?

How about moving the xgl code currently in xserver/hw/xgl to xserver/xgl
and avoid symlinking and building xgl sources in glucose directory?

The XF86 module part in xserver/glucose/glucose.c, if not all of
glucose.c, really belongs in a xserver/hw/xfree86/glucose directory,
right?

I'll start playing with this asap and I'll definitely help you merge it
to trunk. Hooking up the xgl's GLX extension code and having GLX_EXT_tfp
and all that just work is going to be a lot of fun.

- David