Xorg packaging

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Mar 30 07:49:04 PDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 10:18:23AM +0200, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 30.03.07, 09:08 +0200 schrieb Egbert Eich:
> > Even in the case of the mono tree this was true: different distributors
> > split up the tree into sets of different packages and even the naming
> > sceme was different.
> > The conclusion is there is no real good way to do cross vendor dependencies
> > (with a few exceptions).
> > But this is nothing that X.Org can fix or should try to get involved in
> > getting fixed.
> > ISVs have the same problem. It's an ISV vs. distributors issue.
> > OSDL has had a 'Desktop Architects Meeting' just on ISV issues.
>
> Seems reasonable. Well, lets hope for some form of standardisation in this
> field.

Indeed.

If any of the people involved in that, or in X, are looking for a venue
in which to hash out that sort of thing online, let me offer the
services of bestpractices.wikia.com.  I set it up, original, for the
NANOG crowd... but they seem uninterested.  Certainly, there are other
disciplines in which the concept of best practices is a useful one to
think purposefully about, and large-scale applications design for
deployment is one of those.

Cheers,
-- jra