X11R7.2 on OS X 10.4 binary package available for testing

Ben Byer bbyer at mm.st
Tue May 1 04:59:31 PDT 2007

I've put together a binary installation package of X11R7.2 for Mac OS
X 10.4 [1] .  At the moment, the package contains most of the X11R7.2
release's proto headers, libraries and the X server, all built for ppc
and i386.

The package will install all of the files in /usr/X11, so as to
coexist with the files in /usr/X11R6 as distributed with 10.4.  Most
users will find this most useful if they already have X11.app
installed, as this package does not yet include any applications; it
can use the ones in /usr/X11R6, or I can bundle them in a future
package if there is interest.  (The only way to get Apple's quartz-wm
is from the OS X install disk.)

The installer is located here:  http://people.freedesktop.org/~bbyer/Xorg-X11R7.2.dmg

After installing the package, you may run the new X.org version as /
usr/X11/X11.app.

The included version of the Xquartz server is mostly feature complete;
the only feature missing from it but found in the XFree86 Xquartz is
fullscreen support, which I am currently working on (but would welcome
any help!).  All of the X.org bug fixes from the past few years have
been included, as well as a handful of bugs.  Please feel free to send
me as many patches as you'd like :)

Building this package is fairly difficult; I recommend you try the
binaries I have provided, and rebuild individual pieces as needed from
source.  To facilitate this, the above installer is merely a
combination of these tarballs:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~bbyer/binaries/X11R72-proto-10.4.tar.bz2
http://people.freedesktop.org/~bbyer/binaries/X11R72-libs-10.4.tar.bz2
http://people.freedesktop.org/~bbyer/binaries/X11R72-fonts-10.4.tar.bz2
http://people.freedesktop.org/~bbyer/binaries/X11R72-server-10.4.tar.bz2

The packages were built with only slight patches to most modules, with
the exception of the X server, which is fairly heavily patched.

Complete archives of the sources for those, as well as the rest of the
modules, are available:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~bbyer/sources/X11proto-11.tar.bz2
http://people.freedesktop.org/~bbyer/sources/X11libs-12.tar.bz2
http://people.freedesktop.org/~bbyer/sources/X11apps-11.tar.bz2
http://people.freedesktop.org/~bbyer/sources/X11server-20.tar.bz2
http://people.freedesktop.org/~bbyer/sources/X11misc-6.tar.bz2

In each, you'll find the original tarballs, patches, and configure
script parameters, as well as a build script which may or may not be
very helpful outside of my build environment.  Of these, X11server-20
is the easiest to build, as it's only one module!  It also could use
the most work, so that'd be a good starting place!

Many of the patches for the X server have already been integrated into
the git master; I hope to have the integration work done in time for
the server-1.4 release.  Currently, the server based on server-1.2 /
X11R7.2 is in much better shape, and I won't be able to put much time
into fixing it until I finish up the work with the 1.2 server.

Enjoy!

Ben
--
1. There's no fundamental reason they won't work on OS X 10.3, but I
haven't had the time (nor the equipment) to test them there.