Why not EDID substitution as a standard Option for _all drivers_

Pedro A ARANDA paaguti at hotmail.com
Tue May 8 22:51:17 PDT 2007

After readind this message :
>From: JM Ibanez <jm at orangeandbronze.com>
>Subject: Re: G965, VGA flat panel,xf86-video-intel 2.0.0 and xorg-server
>1.3.0.0
>To: "Javier Ruiz Hidalgo" <jrhlist at gmail.com>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Sorry I can't help you as I've got a similar problem using same server and
intel driver versions using Ross' ubuntu feisty packages though  (thanks
again
ross for providing them!). When starting the server
>>it refuses to use the panel's 1440x900 resolution (it's an LG flat panel
connected through VGA) saying something like "1440x900" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)". Here is the xorg log:
>I have a sneaky suspicion that these monitors are providing incorrect
>EDID data.

and many trouble with getconfig.pl + nvidia + my notebook I would really be
happy
to see the possibility to read the EDID config from a file as the closed
nvidia driver
does becoming a standard for all video card drivers.

Just my .2 cents,
PA