GPL flag for x.org drivers

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Tue May 15 10:38:27 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 15 May 2007 09:02, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>  From the perspective of the mostly-open-source OS vendor I work at, we'd
> love to see ATI & nvidia follow Intel's lead and open their driver sources,

It appears that AMD/ATI might actually be following Intels lead and moving
toward open sourcing their drivers.  See

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/13/1659245

The anouncement is not as clear as I would have liked but AMD does have a
history of supporting open source through their work on the Linux kernel and
this is a good sign that at some point we might start seeing open source
drivers for AMD/ATI hardware.  In addition this may put pressure on nvidia to
open up either their driver sources or their hardware specs.

Hal