GPL flag for x.org drivers

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Tue May 15 11:32:28 PDT 2007

> I wouldn't hold your breath. They've been saying stuff like this for a
> very long time and they still can't review a tiny bit of code and clear
> an NDA on it so we can get 2D support for their current chips.
>
> Their actions speak volumes and I'll believe any more when I see it and
> not earlier.

Exactly all this fanboying on slashdot and osnews type places over one
marketing guy saying something is just stupid, ATI/AMD are just after
headlines until they actually produce something of practical value
which cannot be the fglrx source code for two reasons,

1. they don't own it all.
2. their stock price would plummet after people see how badly written
the driver internals are.

As for working with the community I'd expect they'd at least try
talking to the ppl who maintain the ATI open source driver if they
intend on doing something with it...

Dave.