intel 965GM 3D problems

Alberto Botti alberto.botti at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 13:05:47 PDT 2007

Il giorno ven, 02/11/2007 alle 19.37 +0200, Marius Gedminas ha scritto:
> Gutsy's compiz refuses to start on Intel 965GM, because video playback
> (specifically, Xv) doesn't work with it.
>
> You can get Compiz to work with
>
>   echo SKIP_CHECKS=yes > ~/.config/compiz/compiz-manager

$ compiz --replace
compiz (core) - Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

$ glxinfo | grep GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
    GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap

Looks like Gutsy's compiz refuses to play with my Intel X3100 (GM965), with or
without XV... Some weeks ago I've tried to update both the Intel driver, Mesa and
DRM to the (then) latest git version but nothing changed.
glxinfo reports that direct rendering is enabled and 3D applications work. The server
log shows that AIGLX is enabled. I'm on x86_64, if that matters.

But I've seen people report that this configuration works after the SKIP_CHECK trick.
Any idea of what I'm doing wrong / where should I chase the bug? Not that I need
compiz that much, but I miss it a bit since it used to work on my trusty old R200 :)