No subject

zhengyi goodmenzy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 07:42:25 PDT 2007

IBM T30 laptop computer,
I use kernel param vga=0317 to load kernel with framebuffer console
at resolution 1024x768 and the depth=16. The driver is vesafb in the
kernel source package.

If vga=0318 is set, the console refuse to show anything, but the
kernel can boot correctly ( I can login it with SSH ).

But the KDE can run at a resolution of 1024x768 and with 32bit depth.
when KDE run , it use Radeon driver( the one in the kernel source tree).
Who can tell me why? Why I can't use 32bit depth in console?

Suppose I have no enough Video memory, It is reasonable that the console
refuse to display anything when vag=0318 is set at grub.conf.
But why kde can run at a 32bit depth ?

In KDE, i use pseudo tty, I check th /dev/fb0, and using some code
to test it.
I found that by /dev/fb0, I can contol the top half of screen.

What push me into fuzz is : when the system run KDE, why the /dev/fb0
not change to  enough size ?