Weird sideways scrolling

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sat Nov 10 21:00:14 PST 2007

I have 2 x86_64 systems with the same problem.  Both systems have nvidia
cards.  I have been experiencing this problem since I upgraded both
systems to Lenny which uses xorg 1.3.0.

Neither system had this problem with Debian Etch.

I originally thought this was an evil nvidia binary problem but I've
downgraded to a known-good nvidia driver and I am still having the problem.

In brief, there seems to be some interaction between USB and xorg that
causes the screen to 'scroll' sideaways.  When this happens, only the
video portion scrolls, the mouse remains in the same location, with the
result that mouse clicks happen some 1/10 to 1/4 of a screen off.
Needless to say this makes the screen unusable.

This typically happens on some magic USB interaction - a USB mouse
click, or perhaps a USB dvd drive popping open its door, or some similar
event.  It doesn't *always* happen on a USB event, but most of the time
it does.

It sounds like an IRQ issue, but one system is AMD/nvidia based and the
other is Intel based, so the whole chipset is completely different.

Is anyone experiencing anything like this?  What can I do to diagnose this?

my xorg version:

X Window System Version 1.3.0
Release Date: 19 April 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
Build Operating System: Linux Debian (xorg-server 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-12lenny1)
Current Operating System: Linux selene 2.6.22-2-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Aug 30
23:43:59 UTC 2007 x86_64
Build Date: 20 October 2007

Thanks,

--Yan