X server memory footprint growing continuously and monotonically over time

Joel Feiner jafeiner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 09:32:04 PST 2007

I used to think that too, but when I've had the same problem, xrestop
shows considerably less memory usage than the amount of memory in the X
server's heap (via /proc/<PID>/maps).  Firefox is a big offender when it
comes to triggering this behavior in X.  Sometimes I get that behavior
after only a few hours of using Firefox when visiting sites with lots of
images.  All my RAM is used up and I go into swap.

There is a memory leak in X and it's bad.