XOR support for mouse cursors

Ben Swartzlander ben at swartzlander.org
Sun Nov 11 23:23:46 PST 2007

So perhaps I'm asking the wrong question. What I want is a cursor that
is able to invert the color of the pixels underneath it. For example, an
"I" shaped cursor that looks white over a black background and looks
black over a white background (and stands out suitably from any other
color background) to use for text editing. This is the kind of cursor
that Windows has, and I believe that SDL offers the same type of
cursors. I don't really care how it's implemented, whether a XOR
operation is used or not. If a patent is the only thing standing in the
way of implemented color-inverted cursors, then it should be possible to
copy whatever prior art existed at the time the patent was filed, thus
avoiding any patent problems.

-Ben Swartzlander