[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-ati 6.7.196

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 07:26:00 PST 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 2:38 AM, Halim Issa <yallaone at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 12 November 2007 08:13:53 Alex Deucher wrote:
> > > However, now the laptop lid button is no longer "active", so the display
> > > does not turn off when the laptop lid is closed. Easily worked around by
> > > exiting X before closing the lid, but still.
> >
> > The bios shouldn't be messing with the chip behind the driver's back.
> > Hook up a script to acpi lid events and have it execute:
> > xset dpms force off
>
> The 'xset dpms force off' only turns off the screen for a second, and then the
> screen comes to life displaying the screen saver (no mouse/keyboard touched).

probably mouse jitter.  you can also turn it off as Peter suggested:
for lid close events:
xrandr --output LVDS --off
for lid open events:
xrandr --auto

> What's odd is that the screen lid button has worked flawlessly on the same
> computer for a long time with earlier drivers. Then in version 6.6.x, the
> screen lid button stopped responding, and in 6.7.195 it was back to
> functional again, only to be lost in 6.7.196. It seems to be driver
> related,as there are no such problems when in console.

It's not odd, I explicitly programmed the driver to tell the bios not
to muck with the hw when the driver is active.  Previously, the bios
would still bang the hw directly in some cases.  This often led to
problems as the bios would write whatever it wanted to the hw without
the driver knowing which led to hangs and strange behavior.  There are
no problems in the console because the driver saves and restores the
hw state on xserver start/stop and VT switch.

Alex