[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-ati 6.7.196

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz arekm at maven.pl
Mon Nov 12 08:31:59 PST 2007

On Monday 12 of November 2007, Alex Deucher wrote:
> Another RC release.
>
> fixes/new features:
> - cursor related hangs
> - LVDS fixes
> - support for new DDC type
> - bios/dock/lvds hw state fixes

On my setup (linux 2.6.24rc2, xserver 1.4 [1], mesa 7.0.2, ati driver 6.7.196,
thinkpad z60m with ati radeon mobility x300) I can easily hang X in a very
weird way.

Going to http://www.tmmb.pl/portal/ with opera (9.5 beta in my case) or
konqueror (kde 3.8.5) (but not firefox) makes X hang. Can't switch vt,
alt+cltr+backspace doesn't kill X server.

Beside that machine works - I logged in over network. X process was eating 99%
of cpu. I tried to kill it but... after kill -9 it still eated 99% of cpu.
The interesting thing was that top started showing memory usage 0 MB Virt, 0
RES and 0 SHR. Futher kill -9 changed nothing.

sysrq-t was showing X process as "runnable task" but didn't provide any call
trace for it.

daniels at irc suggested that it stuck in MMIO.

Can I somehow debug the thing? Looks I can easily reproduce the problem. With
older ati driver releases I also had such occasional lockups but these were
very rare.

[1] are there any fixes on 1.4.1 branch that could be important for the
problem?
--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz        PLD/Linux Team