Xorg Input Hotplugging

David Sharp whereami at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 00:48:12 PST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 3:12 AM, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd appreciate help in converting this old working xorg evdev config to
> the new hal hotplug fdi syntax (since it just hit fedora-devel, and the
> old xorg.cong results in no input)
>
> I understand you're supposed to drop xml files in
> /etc/hal/fdi/policy/, and I more or less grok the basic syntax rules,
> but the mapping from the old directives to the new key names is evading
> me.

what you want is for the hal devices to have properties that xorg will
understand, like input.x11_driver

This seems like it should cover most devices (it's not installed by
make install, last I checked):

http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=config/x11-input.fdi

for example:
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.mouse">
      <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">mouse</merge>
      <match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.kernel.name"
             string="Linux">
        <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">evdev</merge>
      </match>
    </match>

this says:
if a device has key info.capabilities with a value that contains input.mouse
   set key 'input.x11_driver' to the value 'mouse'
   if linux
     set key 'input.x11_driver' to the value 'evdev'

I guess you said you understand the basic syntax, so maybe you got this far.

so, assuming this file isn't working as-is for you, you need to match
properties for your devices, and merge the properties that xorg will
understand. You can find these properties in various ways:
 - hal-device-manager is a gui interface
 - lshal lists all hal devices and properties.
 - hal-device does as well (it can also and and remove devices)
 - hal-find-by-capability does what it says. capabilities come from
the property 'info.capabilities'
 - hal-find-by-property also does what it says, but is a bit limited
(can only find properties with string values, not int, bool, or lists)

at least one of the properties for your devices should contain their
usb vendor/product IDs.

other properties xorg understands for keyboards:
 - input.xkb.rules
 - input.xkb.model
 - input.xkb.layout
 - input.xkb.variant
 - input.xkb.options

xorg will look for devices with these capabilities (info.capabilities):
 - input.keys
 - input.keyboard (deprecated)
 - input.mouse
 - input.touchpad

xorg expects these properties to be set on these devices:
 - input.x11_driver
 - input.device (usually already set)

Also, to quote Daniel Stone:
> Try adding Option "AllowEmptyInput" to the ServerFlags section.

Hope this was what you were looking for.