Input issues with CompositeOverlayWindow

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Nov 22 05:48:56 PST 2007

On Thursday 22 of November 2007, Rémi Cardona wrote:
> I'm trying to use the CompositeOverlayWindow to render stuff but I can't
> get any input from it. All the clicks and keyboard events go right
> through the overlay directly to the underlying windows. The same code

 Nitpick: Keyboard events of course don't go through it, they use the normal X
focus handling.

> behaves as expected if I use XCreateSimpleWindow.
>
> I tried using various combinations of XFixesSetWindowShapeRegion,
> XMapRaised, XMoveResizeWindow (for the sake of it), to no avail. I tried
> comparing with compiz and KWin and I don't even know if they actually
> get input from the overlay or if they want the clicks and key presses to
> go through.

 KWin explicitly sets no input shape on the overlay in
Workspace::setupOverlay() and never tries to use it for input (it uses
InputOnly windows for cases where it should get all mouse clicks from the
whole screen or a portion of it).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz