"upgrade" from xf86-video-intel 2.1.1 to 2.2.0 locks up everything for the g33 Intel chipset

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Nov 23 18:25:28 PST 2007

My hardware is an ASUS P5K-V MB with g33 chipset.

The lockup for 2.2.0 occurs for X -probeonly and also occurs for 2.1.99 so
the bug was introduced between 2.1.1 and 2.1.99.  For details see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=451917.  The log and
xorg.conf file are given there for several variations on the theme
(including trying XAA) suggested by Brice Goglin, but for all these
variations, 2.1.99 and 2.2.0 locks up for X -probeonly and all aspects of X
work fine for version 2.1.1.  The lockups are always accompanied by the log
message

(EE) intel(0): First SDVO output reported failure to sync

A google search indicates that is a fairly rare error message so that may
give a clue about what is wrong with 2.1.99 and 2.2.0.

The above tests were run with the Debian unstable version of xorg.  If I
revert back to the Debian testing version of xorg (which includes the 2.1.0
version of this device driver) all is fine with X as well, but I would like
to see the Debian unstable version (recently updated from 2.1.1 to 2.2.0 for
this xserver-xorg-video-intel (a.k.a. xf86-video-intel) device driver and
version 2:1.4.1~git20071119-1 for xserver-xorg-core) fixed so there will be
no nasty future surprises for me or any other Debian testing user with g33
hardware.

Please let me know if there are any further tests that I can run.  In
particular I believe I can follow the steps in
http://www.x.org/wiki/CompileXserverManually to build the xf86-video-intel
device driver manually if you think there might be some g33-relevant
bugfixes for the 2.2.0 release in the git version.  I am also willing to try
patched versions of the git version or 2.2.0 version of xf86-video-intel to
help figure out this problem.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).