Website maintenance volunteers?

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Nov 28 12:31:03 PST 2007

xorg-bounces at lists.freedesktop.org wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 12:04:39PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 08:38:51PM +0200, Daniel Stone wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> As you may have noticed, our website is pretty crap.  I had fairly
>>> grand plans to fix it, but the current spam influx with Moin has
>>> drained any will I had to work on it, and realistically, I'm
>>> overcommitted anyway.
>>>
>>> So, does anyone want to work on the website? It looks like an ideal
>>> solution will involve moving away from Moin, as well as properly
>>> namespacing a lot of stuff, cleaning everything up, doing a tiny
>>> bit of design work to make it look good, and generally making it
>>> something people will want to work with to improve, rather than
>>> just battle against.
>>
>> Would mediawiki be an option?  I set up mediawiki for Inkscape
>> (http://wiki.inkscape.org) which has turned out quite nicely.
>
> Alternately configure Moin to not allow the spamming?  I believe it
> has similar security settings and perhaps a captcha system as well?
>
> Not sure how easy it is to migrate from Moin -> MediaWiki nor how
> concerned all are regarding PHP's relatively poor security history.

there are some tools to help migrate, but I don't see that a
"parallel move" makes much sense. mediawiki looks a little
prettier but ends up having some real irritations too (I really
treasure the ability to easily set an acl on a page in moin,
to name one). in the end, it's pretty much the same functionality.

python uses moin, and has several people subscribed to receive
email on page changes.  we see the spam, and can hack it out
pretty quickly (just revert the page), since there's more than
one person watching. you can dial up the settings, the question
becomes at what point does it become a barrier for the people
who legitimately want to contribute.