XCreatePixmapCursor stats a lot of files...

BJörn Lindqvist bjourne at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 02:56:53 PDT 2007

(I think you forgot to CC the list)

On 10/1/07, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 04:53 +0200, BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
> > And so on, for many more themes and many more directories and many
> > more files. Why does it do this? The documentaton doesn't explain this
> > fairly odd behaviour. Why does it try to open the exact same file 8 or
> > more times?
>
> XCreatePixmapCursor calls into the X Cursor library so that image
> cursors may be redirected to a suitable themed cursor. So, it should be
> opening a few files, but not this many. It seems like there's a
> performance bug here.

It is something I'm not understanding here, but this seems just
totally wrong. I'm sending two Pixmaps, one for the bitmap and another
for the mask to XCreatePixmapCursor(). This data completely specifies
the appearance of the cursor. How could any theming be necessary? The
man page doesn't mention theming.

--
mvh Björn