G965 "blacklisted" in Ubuntu Gutsy

Adam Williamson awilliamson at mandriva.com
Mon Oct 1 12:53:08 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 21:57 -0400, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 12:27:31PM -0700, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> > $ compiz --replace
> > Checking for Xgl: not present.
> > Blacklisted PCIID '8086:29a2' found
> > aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity
> >
> > It's a shame that Ubuntu had to make the choice between Compiz and video
> > playback.  Isn't there any way to have GL and video at the same time on
> > this hardware?
>
> You could try enabling EXA (I tried this a month ago and my X server
> promptly crashed on login, but I'm pretty sure that's been fixed.).  Or
> tell your video players to use plain x11 instead of xv (which is what I
> did).
>
> You'll need to
>
>   echo SKIP_CHECKS=yes > .config/compiz/compiz-manager
>
> to disable Ubuntu's compiz blacklist.

Also, Compiz Fusion has a plugin which is supposed to allow
Xv-accelerated video to work on Intel chipsets. I haven't tried it yet.

We (Mandriva) have a fairly extensive guide to configuring various video
players to use x11 output instead of xv in our Errata page:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandriva/2007.1/Errata#3D-accelerated_desktop_and_video_playback

might help.
--
adamw