DDC-CI

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Oct 10 21:51:35 PDT 2007

Hello,

there are some monitors (mostly by Samsung) that don't have any controls
on them, and their settings such as brightness and contrast must be
controlled by software via the DDC-CI protocol.

Unfortunately, the program that sends DDC-CI commands to such monitors
(ddccontrol) appears to be no longer maintained, and is incompatible
with the latest graphics chipsets. Also, when sending such commands, it
bypasses the X driver (i.e.: reimplements I2C for each supported card),
which is a dirty hack.

What does it take to design and write an extension to Xorg that reuses
the existing I2C code to send DDC-CI commands? I have some (but very
few) time to spend on this if someone will guide me, and can test DDC-CI
at home on a Samsung 770P monitor connected to the 965G onboard graphics
via DVI (i.e., configuration currently unsupported by ddccontrol).

One more thing: NVIDIA appears to have done this already in their driver.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov