VNC patch for Xserver 1.3

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Oct 17 15:11:02 PDT 2007

Stefan Dirsch wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 04:31:02PM +0200, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
>> Thanks. Unfortunately the Xserver crashes immediately now.
>>
>> (gdb) run

>> [Switching to Thread 0x2ab337bb4290 (LWP 4737)]
>> 0x00000000004a0bdc in xf86CollectInputOptions ()
>> (gdb) bt
>> #0  0x00000000004a0bdc in xf86CollectInputOptions ()
>> #1  0x00002ab338d5a019 in xf86rfbKeybInit ()
>>    from /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//extensions/libvnc.so
>> #2  0x0000000000467fdc in InitInput ()
>> #3  0x0000000000439931 in main ()
>> (gdb) quit
>
> Tried again with X.Org 7.3 and current xf4vnc CVS. Still crashing. :-)
> Here are the results of my investigations.

Hello again Stefan/Alan,

I can't help with this specific issue but I'm just updating the Mandriva
xorg 1.4 build to include the vnc patch again and I decided rather than
update the old patch we've been using for a while, that I'd take it
directly from the xf4vnc CVS repo.

Here is what I did, and you can perhaps let me know what is going one
and why this is happening!

1. I did a cvn export thus:
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at xf4vnc.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/xf4vnc
export -r Xorg modular/src/xserver
mv modular/src/xserver a
rmdir -p modular/src

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at xf4vnc.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/xf4vnc
export -r HEAD modular/src/xserver
mv modular/src/xserver b
rmdir -p modular/src

I then compared the two directories a and b with "diff -rN a b" to get
what I thought would be a patch that I could apply to the official
xserver-1.4 source.

Unfortunately the two trees are very, very different. There are numerous
files in the a (Xorg) tree that are simply missing from the b (VNC
patched) tree. I'd imagine these are not important to the VNC patched
tree but obviously it makes for confusing comparisons.

Also the Xorg tree contains the whole of .git folder which is really
internal and should have been removed prior to CVS import.

After removing the numerous (there were at least about 20-30 files I'd
say) non-merged files from the a (Xorg) tree such that my diff command
would ignore them from the patch, I was able to produce a nice patch.
There were a couple of changes that I didn't think I'd want (e.g. pixman
include path changes and an unnecessary white space change) so I nuked
them prior to making a nice patch.

Unfortunately all of this was in vein as xserver 1.4 failed to build
with the patch applied with the following error:

make[4]: Entering directory `/tmp/rpm/BUILD/xorg-server-1.4/hw/xfree86/vnc'
make[4]: *** No rule to make target `auth.c', needed by
`libvnc_la-auth.lo'.  Stop.

I had a look in CVS and indeed the file seems to be missing:
http://xf4vnc.cvs.sourceforge.net/xf4vnc/modular/src/xserver/hw/xfree86/vnc/

So I guess I'll revert back to updating my previous patch which I kept
in a local SVN repo for easy merging/diffing with updated vendor branch
drops... don't know if I kept it, but it will be easy to import again.
Can you remember if there were any changes above and beyond simple
merging (e.g. to the input layer?)

Or perhaps easier, Stefan, do you have a nice patch for xserver 1.4 I
can *ahem* liberate? ;)

Col