1680 x 1050 with intel driver?

Louis E Garcia II louisg00 at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 22 07:34:58 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 07:14 -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Louis E Garcia II wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the website. I have been able to get further along. This is
> > my current xorg.conf. X comes up with the proper modes on each monitor
> > but my desktop is on the VGA monitor and half on the LVDS. I would like
> > the desktop to be on the LVDS alone with the vga just empty where I can
> > drag windows on.
> >

> > Section "Device"
> >        Identifier  "intel 945GM"
> >        Driver      "intel"
> >        Option      "monitor-LVDS"   "Laptop"
> >        Option      "monitor-VGA"    "VGA"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Monitor"
> >        Identifier   "Laptop"
> >        Option       "PreferredMode" "1280x800"
> >        Option       "Position"      "0 0"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Monitor"
> >        Identifier   "VGA"
> >        Option       "LeftOf"        "Laptop"
> >        Option       "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
> > EndSection
>
> I have not tried the LeftOf/RightOf options or the Intel driver.  On my
> dual-screen mga setup, I just set the left monitor to position 0 0 and
> the right monitor to a position just to the right of the width of the
> left monitor.
>
> With your monitors, that would have the Laptop monitor at position 1920
> 0 and the VGA monitor at position 0 0.  To use the full width of both
> monitors, the virtual screen should be 1280+1920=3200 wide.
>
> > Section "Screen"
> >        Identifier   "Default Screen"
> >        Device       "intel 945GM"
> >        Monitor      "VGA"
> >        DefaultDepth 24
> >        SubSection "Display"
> >                Depth     24
> >                Modes    "1280x800"
>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I don't set a default mode.  With two monitors in different modes, it
> didn't seem to make sense.  May not make any difference.
>
> >                Virtual  3120 1200
> >        EndSubSection
> > EndSection
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

Thanks for your help, I am almost there. With this xorg.conf my vga
monitor is at the proper res and my desktop is on it. The laptop has a
high res that goes off the screen. Think it has the same res as the vga
monitor.

I would like to get the LDVS at 1280x800 with my desktop on it. Then the
vga at 1920x1200 just for an extention of the desktop so I can drag
windows to view them.

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "intel 945GM"
        Driver      "intel"
        Option      "monitor-LVDS"   "Laptop"
        Option      "monitor-VGA"    "VGA"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Laptop"
        Option       "PreferredMode" "1280x800"
        Option       "Position"      "1920 0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "VGA"
        Option       "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
        Option       "Position"      "0 0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier   "Default Screen"