xf86-video-ati-6.7.195 - don't load my customized video mode - and seems to work only with the buggy DDC video modes.

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 06:33:34 PDT 2007

On 10/25/07, wallak at free.fr <wallak at free.fr> wrote:
> Best Regards,
>
> 'Option          "Monitor-DVI-1" "Compaq-15xxS"' assigns my monitor to the
> device. Nevertheless the problems goes on. The "Screen" section which define the
> default video mode, seems to be bypassed, and the 'xrandr enabled driver' takes
> the largest video mode as default. Everything looks like a blind plug and play
> behavior. Xrand is not well documented, and seems to prevent the usage of
> customized mode, or buggy monitors. In my opinion an option to disable it, is
> probably the right thing to do. Otherwise, do you know a method to get the
> classical, and fully configurable,  xorg behavior with an xrandr enabled driver
> ?

You can do the same things, you just have to do them differently as a
screen can have more than one monitor associated with it.  These
options are documented in the xorg.conf man pages and on this page:
http://www.intellinuxgraphics.com/dualhead.html.  The old config model
doesn't support the new driver model.  The old config model assumes
one monitor per screen.  If you have 3 different monitors attached,
and you specify a set of modes in the screen section of your config,
which monitors do you want those modes to apply to? All of them? One
of them?  Two of them?  And if you specify a mode, what rate and
timings to you want it to use? 1024x768 at 72 @85 @60? reduced blanking?
Once you've associated a monitor section with an output you can add
you custom modes and if you want to use a custom one as your default
mode, specify it using the PreferredMode option:
Option "PreferredMode"  "mymode"

You can also change modes and add new modes at runtime using xrandr.
run xrandr --help to see the options.  To add new modes, take a look
at xrandr --newmode and xrandr --addmode.

the radeon ignore edid option is currently broken, but I haven't
decided on the best fix yet.

Alex