Tablet to screen coordinate conversion (again)

Giuseppe Bilotta giuseppe.bilotta at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 06:29:45 PDT 2007

Hello,

having just fixed a bug that prevented the acecad driver I'm
maintaining from working at all with xorg 1.4, I hit the problem
discussed in this February thread:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2007-February/022126.html
i.e. the fact that the conversion_proc and reverse_conversion_proc
functions are never called.

As the driver maintainer and tablet user, I'm left with two rather
unappealing choices: if I let the tablet driver post motion and
button events without manually scaling the x and y coordinates, I
can only use the upper right corner of the tablet; however, if I
do manually scale the x and y coordinates before posting the
events (call the conversion_proc manually), thus fixing
non-XInput-aware clients, I break all XInput-aware clients (gimp,
inkscape, xournal, ...) since they assume that the posted
coordinates are in device, not screen coordinates.

I've noticed a couple of more recent posts about this issues, but
nothing definitive. So I would like to know what the current
status is wrt to this issue, and in particular if it will get
fixed with the next point release.

Also, is there something I can do to work around this issue, at
the driver level, other than claiming that the device limits are
the same as the screen limits? Or would it be better to just wait
for this to be fixed at the server level?

Thanks all in advance,

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta