AIX support

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sun Sep 2 15:09:17 PDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 11:42:09PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 12:36:59AM +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> >   b) you list everything that you link each shared library with in
> >      pkg-config's Requires.private/Libs.private/etc, and make pkg-config
> >      spit out that when dynamically linking as well as statically, or
>
> This is based on stock modular Xorg libraries.

Right, I meant modifying pkg-config.  When you use static linking, it
uses both Libs and Libs.private, Requires and Requires.private, etc,
because static linking has the same recursion issue.

So, you could modify pkg-config to use Libs and Libs.private instead of
just Libs when dynamically linking on AIX, because dynamic linking on
AIX has the same problem as statically linking everywhere else.

Does that make sense?

> It still remains a valid question whether modular Xorg wants to do (c)
> anyway as it currently doesn't do that.

Avoiding libtool where possible is always a good thing, so I'd try the
pkg-config thing first, which has the advantage of fixing a wider range
of software, including stuff that doesn't use autotools.

Cheers,
Daniel