GPL and missing licenses in xf86-input-keyboard? (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] xf86-input-keyboard1.2.2)

Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Thu Sep 6 09:16:59 PDT 2007

Daniel Stone wrote:
> To clarify Alan's mail:
>
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 07:45:02AM -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
>>>  * provided that
>>>  * the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that
>>>  * copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
>>>  * documentation
>>>

> This is irritating, but not GPL-incompatible.
>

>>>  and that the names of Orest Zborowski and David Dawes
>>>  * not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of
>>>  * the software without specific, written prior permission
>>>

> This is irritating, but not GPL-incompatible.
>
> This:
>    All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
>    must display the following acknowledgement:
>    This product includes software developed by Orest Zborowski and David
>    Dawes.
> would be GPL-incompatible.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

  Is there something preventing relicensing "Xorg" under GPL?

  I think a full GPL relicensed Xorg could be the required change to
make the X server receive the same community/industry attention of Linux
kernel and/or gnome/kde, so that end users could buy a new computer and
expect to have things like full 3d acceleration, video, etc working,
instead of frequently needing to use something like the vesa driver and
only unaccelerated 2d.

  Forgive the fact that I have been away from XFree86/Xorg for some
years... But XFree86 tried to make an infrastructure to try to make it
easy for hardware vendors to provide binary only drivers as an option,
but this never became an reality (stable/reliable drivers built by the
hardware vendor).

Paulo