Release criteria for X11 releases

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 01:50:44 PDT 2007

> > Was making our already-delayed release date so important that the
> > lessened quality of the release was worth it?   Is this good enough
> > for an X.Org final release or do we want to go back to the higher bars
> > of our previous release criteria for future releases?
> >
> > (Wearing my distributor hat, we've decided this one isn't fully cooked
> >   yet, and we're waiting for Xserver 1.4.1 before inflicting this on our
> >   users.   I don't know if other distributors feel 7.3 is ready to ship
> >   or not.)
>
> We had a small informal discussion with a couple of people at XDS2007.
>
> My main concern as a distributor (OpenBSD), is the lack of coherence
> (and information) on the level of XRandR 1.2 support in the various
> drivers. This is probably going to hurt several users who had working
> pre xrandr setups.

As far as I know in Xorg 7.3 only one driver supports randr 1.2 that
being the Intel driver, the released ATI driver is still 6.6.3 which
is the old style driver. We've done major testing on the randr-1.2 ATI
driver but a final gold release wasn't shipped with Xorg 7.3.

For intel users old-style dualhead config barely worked before..

Dave.