Newbie Question: How to extend the i810 driver

Raúl Sánchez Siles rasasi78 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 03:01:39 PDT 2007

Joseph Adams wrote:

> I'm a newbie to driver development (of any kind) and I'm wondering
> where a good place to start learning driver development would be.
> Specifically, I want to improve (or help someone improve) the i810
> driver so the performance of an Intel 82845G/GL (my graphics chipset)
> on Linux is more on par to Windows.  I really think the reduced
> framerate of many 3D games on Linux using this card is due to lack of
> support for many 3D primitive drawing functions available in the
> chipset.  I just don't have a clue where to get documentation for the
> 82845G/GL or how the heck people "hack up" graphics drivers.  I know
> this is a broad question, I just want to know a good starting point
> (beyond downloading and building the source code).  Thanks!

  You should give it a try to the newest intel driver, rather than i810
which is deprecated AFAIK. Look this link:
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel.git;a=shortlog

  If you want to collaborate in any development you should start with that
driver.

  Regards,

--
     Raúl Sánchez Siles