Q re /usr/share/hwdata files

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Apr 4 07:36:40 PDT 2008

On Friday 04 April 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Friday 04 April 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:

Humm, I think I'm talking to myself here.  Please don't call the guys in the
white jackets just yet.

>>>That would be a distribution issue, not an xorg one.
>>
>>Oh?  You are saying there is one if I build from src?

>>>And that sounds like radeonhd failing to reprogram the mode correctly on
>>>exit, which you're not going to solve with any number of configuration
>>>files. Have you tried radeon, to see whether it's a general bug or one
>>>specific to a driver?
>>
>>Once, x refused to start.  It is installed.  Was I miss-configured?
>>
>>Thanks.
>
>I must have been, your question prompted me to remove the hd from radeonhd
> in the .conf, stop x and type 'startx'.  I'm running on it now, but tvtime
> and such is still dead.  glxinfo says dri is still foobar too.  And, TBT, I
> can't see any difference in how the two different drivers are actually
> working. glxgears still says about 350.  I'll save this and see if I have a
> tty1 when I quit X now, brb.
>
>Short answer, no.  But this was not a restart from a good screen either,
> which may make this test moot.

After a reboot, once x has been run on this 2400HD card, there will be no more
vga video until the next reboot, that mode is not being re-enabled at x
quitting time.  But with either driver, you can blindly restart x with a
startx just fine, and really fast, like maybe 2 seconds max.

Another bit of info, not directly related, but something to pass on here.
Because neither the radeon nor the radeonhd drivers support the video overlay
mode that stuff like tvtime and xine use, if there are any xine or gxine
plugins in the plugns dir for the beta firefoxes, they will turn into a
crash-o-matic monster, spinning their wheels at 0 cpu forever.

Is this missing video overlay mode (and the dri too) being actively worked on?
Or has ATI not yet output the docs to allow it?

Is there an ATI based card that sells for under a big buck, available yet that
these drivers do fully support?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene