AMD/ATI PowerPlay-Support in radeon(ati) or radeonHD?

Vedran Rodic vrodic at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 11:17:16 PDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Vedran Rodic <vrodic at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  I've just added atombios support for the "DynamicClocks" option on
>  >  r5xx/r6xx cards to the radeon driver.  It should enable dynamic clock
>  >  gating and static power management if the chip supports it.  This is
>  >  not full powerplay support, just one aspect.  Also, the bios may set
>  >  some or all of this up at post so, YMMV.
>  >

>  Great, thanks.
>
>  fglrx driver is definitely doing something on rv670.  I still haven't
>  tested the power usage with "ati" driver though, but will later today.

Unfortunately, this option doesn't work for HD3850, it doesn't save
power. Also VT switch tends to lockup the machine, try to do it a
couple of times and it surely will. It also doesn't detect all the
video modes (higher resolutions and refresh rates). GIT version from
today, Xserver 1.4.0.90 xserver-xorg-core
(1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu6).