Traversing X11 clients behind NAT (or X11 end-to-end connectivity)

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Sun Apr 13 14:20:52 PDT 2008

> In my university we receive 304 IPv6 networks (via the BGP protocol)
> compared to 245966 IPv4 networks, so for practical reasons IPv6 doesn't
> exists outside the academic and research world, so your IPv6 point is
> moot (actually).

These are native IPv6 networks.  Most IPv6 traffic nowadays is using
transition technologies which don't appear in the global BGP table.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6#Transition_mechanisms

If you control both the client and the server, which is usually the
case with X11, it is trivial to give a Teredo address to both and
enjoy NAT-free end-to-end communication:

  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/ipv6-connectivity.html

Think of Teredo as a NAT traversal technology.  Instead of
implementing NAT traversal in every application, you implement it
once, at the network layer, and have all applications assume
end-to-end connectivity.

                                        Juliusz