Getting widescreen resolution on my widescreen LCD tv

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Mon Apr 14 08:13:55 PDT 2008

On 2008/04/14 00:47 (GMT-0500) Arthur Pemberton apparently typed:

> I have a Maxtent  26" HD-Ready LCD TV which is 16:9 and rated for up

Did this TV come with a VGA cable, separate or integral? If not, does
your cable have any pins missing on either end? If it does not have 15 on
both ends, try one that does.

> to 1280x1024 despite my best efforts I have been unable to get a

1280x1024 is nonsense on a 16:9 display.

> working widescreen res with Xorg (updated) on Centos5

> The machine in question is an Optiplex GX270

That chipset is 865G. I installed a generic no-name 19" 16:9 (1440x900)
display on an Optiplex GX150, which has a much older 815 chipset, and it
works in the native mode under DozXP. That means there's no reason yours
can't ultimately run 1366x768 as long as the magic incantations for xorg.conf
can be found. Since last summer's xorg drivers overhaul began, this has often
been difficult, but usually not impossible.

> So I bought an AGP GeForce FX 5200

That should have been unnecessary. The fact that you haven't gotten it to
work right either means you may have a hardware deficiency in either the
cable or the TV.

> What I am aiming for is 1366 x 768 at 60Hz

That is probably the native mode, the only mode to consider trying.

You have been studying /var/log/Xorg.0.log for clues after each xorg.conf
change, right? What (EE) and (WW) lines do you see in there?
--
"Either the constitution controls the judges, or the
judges rewrite the constitution." Judge Robert Bork

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/