"libtool" performance... / was: Re: Announcing Dolt, a drop-in Libtool replacement which cuts build timesin half

Mon Apr 14 20:12:41 PDT 2008

Attila Kinali wrote:
> If you care about sane tools, why do you use auto* and libtool
> in the first place?

Because converting X.Org's approximately 300 packages to anything
else would be even more painful?   (And believe me, I curse libtool
regularly, and have had to find more ways to undo it's damage than
I can count, so I'm not a fan either.)

It's going to have to be a whole lot better than auto* and libtool
to be worth the effort to move all of those, and it's going to need
people in X.Org who know the new tools, while we've all learned the
ones we have already.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com