GMA 950 - intel - 1600x1200

Paul Novak k9genius at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 11:34:02 PDT 2008

As requested, I'm sending the full log files as attachments.

Here's a repost of the entire situation:

I'm having trouble with graphics on a new computer with a new install of
Slackware 12.0.  The motherboard has onboard video with the Intel GMA 950
chipset.  My monitor is on older Hitachi CRT Superscan 753 with 1600x1200
maximum resolution.

If I use the intel driver (with dri and glx), the monitor comes up in 1600x1024.

If I use the vesa driver (with no dri or glx) , the monitor comes up
fine at 1600x1200.

I tried LiveCD versions PClinuxOS and Knoppix, and both came up at
1600X1200 using
the i810 driver; I tried the i810 driver as well with the same
(1600x1024) results.
I also download Slackware-current and have the same problem.

I've tried all kinds of things to set the display resolution
(including commenting
out the  HorizSync and VertRefresh lines) with no success.  I'm not sure
it's even possible (because 1600x1200 is listed under Future Video Modes)
Googling has only confused me even more.  I can't figure out why
I'm getting 1600x1024 resolution.  What if anything can I do to get
my 1600x1200 resolution back so I can try compiz-fusion?

Walt
walt at 8pawsagility.com