XBell() help

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at freedesktop.org
Wed Apr 23 02:30:43 PDT 2008

We have the following function prototype to handle the keyboard bell:
void QuartzBell(int volume, DeviceIntPtr pDevice, pointer ctrl, int
class)

and we pass it to InitKeyboardDeviceStruct as follows:
InitKeyboardDeviceStruct(pDev, &keySyms, keyInfo.modMap,
                         QuartzBell, DarwinChangeKeyboardControl);
or when using xkb:
XkbInitKeyboardDeviceStruct(pDev, &names, &keySyms, keyInfo.modMap,
                            QuartzBell, DarwinChangeKeyboardControl);

I put an ErrorF at the top of QuartzBell to see if it was getting
executed, and it's not.  I was wondering if I'm missing a step.  I've
tried to trigger the bell via echo -ne '\a', and this app:

#include <X11/Xlib.h>

int main() {
    Display *dpy = XOpenDisplay(NULL);
    XBell(dpy, 100);
}

$ xset q | grep bell
bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100

Any thoughts as to why QuartzBell() isn't getting called when I do
XBell()?  Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,
Jeremy