X - use clipboard by default

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Apr 23 05:40:03 PDT 2008

Pawel K wrote:

> > For Athena-based programs (e.g. xpdf), you can override the
> > translations, e.g.:
> >
> > *Text.translations:    #override    \n\
> > ~Shift ~Ctrl ~Meta <Btn2Up>:    insert-selection(CLIPBOARD, PRIMARY, CUT_BUFFER0)
>
> Unfortunately I don't know where to place the Text.translations. I do not have the resources
> file for e.g. xpdf.
> I added it at the beginning of /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources but it did not help.

That file only affects xdm itself.

> Could You give me an indication of where to put it.

It very much depends upon system configuration. The details are here:

	http://www.faqs.org/faqs/Xt-FAQ/section-21.html

However, the system-wide directory may be in /etc/X11 rather than
/usr/lib/X11 on modern systems.

Also, some distributions and/or desktop environments may invoke xrdb
without explicitly being asked to do so. The actual resources which
are set are sometimes found in ~/.Xresources.