i915 dual head woes

Richard Lynch ceo at l-i-e.com
Sun Apr 27 19:02:00 PDT 2008

On Sun, April 27, 2008 8:12 pm, Jin, Gordon wrote:
> Richard Lynch wrote on Monday, April 28, 2008 9:06 AM:

>>> You should write xorg.conf with ONE device and ONE screen. You can
>>> refer to http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html and try
>>> both the dynamic and static setup.
>>
>> Okay.
>>
>> The dynamic setup doesn't do anything, since there's only one
>> device/screen/monitor recognized by xrandr:
>> lynch at localhost ~ $ xrandr -q
>>  SZ:    Pixels          Physical       Refresh
>> *0    800 x 600    ( 383mm x 302mm )  *75
>>  1    640 x 480    ( 383mm x 302mm )   75
>>  2    800 x 1200   ( 383mm x 302mm )   75
>> Current rotation - normal
>> Current reflection - none
>> Rotations possible - normal left inverted right
>> Reflections possible - none
>> lynch at localhost ~ $
>>
>> I had higher sizes with different settings in xorg.conf, but nothing
>> is making this other monitor show up...
>>
>> The static setup also does nothing useful so far...
>>
>> Log and conf files with intellinuxgraphics in their names here:
>> http://l-i-e.com/xorg/
>
> Try with driver "intel" instead of "i810" in xorg.conf.

Something to the effect of:
Driver not loaded; Module not available.

Am I NOT supposed to be using the git sources and compiling as listed
here:
http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/download.html

Because that sure seemed to install the 915 driver using the i810
name, and made the boot process actually load 915 correctly...

Is there something even newer than that?

I found a download on the Intel site from 2005 that was:
Intel-3.4.3006-20051209.i386.tar.gz
Surely that's not newer than git sources?...

I've also got an i915Graphics.tar.gz from I don't even know where
which refuses to install, claiming I don't have a "current" kernel.

I realize Gentoo has some lag, but how much more current than:
Linux localhost 2.6.23-gentoo-r3 #2 SMP Tue Apr 22 08:52:18 CDT 2008
i686 Genuine Intel(R) CPU           U1400  @ 1.20GHz GenuineIntel
GNU/Linux
do I have to be?...

My head is spinning from trying all these things...

--
Can you do me a favor?
Sign up for http://Facebook.com