dummy driver -> xorg stops during startup

Martin Metzker martinmetzker at gmx.net
Mon Apr 28 04:34:17 PDT 2008

Hi!

I hate switching my screen's resolution whenever I hook up a projector to my laptop. For some reason people have come to accept this inconvenience, I haven't. I came up with an idea. There are USB-VGA-Dongles so you can have a second graphics"board" at the ease of plugging in an usb device. There's excelent Linux support now I can have 2 Xservers running to distinct sessions at the same time

Here's what I actually want to do:
- Have one Xsession with no input devices and output is sent to a projector.
- Have another Xsession (the "normal" one) from which I connect to the other Xsesion using VNC

With that setup I do not need to switch screen resolutions and I can view notes and other stuff (clock!) on my laptop screen, while the actual presentation is shown full screen using the projector.

Why the dummy driver? Because I do not whish to send any other input event's to the projector Xsession than VNC.

I can set up my laptop for 2 simultanious Xsessions. The problem occurs when I set one of the Xsessions to use the dummy driver for mouse AND keyboard. Using the dummy driver for just either of them works.

Can anybody help me do this?

Cheers

Martin