X - use clipboard by default

Pawel K pawlaczus at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 08:22:06 PDT 2008

> > > For Athena-based programs (e.g. xpdf), you can override the
> > > translations, e.g.:
> > >
> > > *Text.translations:    #override    \n\
> > > ~Shift ~Ctrl ~Meta <Btn2Up>:    insert-selection(CLIPBOARD, PRIMARY, CUT_BUFFER0)
> >
> > Unfortunately I don't know where to place the Text.translations. I do not have the resources
> > file for e.g. xpdf.
> > I added it at the beginning of /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources but it did not help.
>
> That file only affects xdm itself.
>
> > Could You give me an indication of where to put it.
>
> It very much depends upon system configuration. The details are here:
>
>     http://www.faqs.org/faqs/Xt-FAQ/section-21.html
>
> However, the system-wide directory may be in /etc/X11 rather than
> /usr/lib/X11 on modern systems.
>
> Also, some distributions and/or desktop environments may invoke xrdb
> without explicitly being asked to do so. The actual resources which
> are set are sometimes found in ~/.Xresources.

thank You for help
I put what You suggested into my ~/.Xdefaults file.
Strace shows that xpdf reads this file as You wrote.
Unfortunately it does not copy the tekst inside a mouse rectangle into the clipboard.
xpdf shows the following message when starting:
Warning: Actions not found: insert-selection

I use xpdf version 3.02 (2007)

Do You know what can be wrong ?
Thank You for help.