Pointer grabs causing accessibility issues! Why not deprecate them?

Joel Feiner jafeiner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 06:35:45 PDT 2008

I had wondered this myself.  In Windows, if you have a popup/dropdown
menu open, when you mouseover other elements on the screen, they still
highlight, even if they don't belong to the current application.  With
X, only the current application will still highlight.  Also, if you
click on something outside the dropdown menu, it is immediately
activated and the menu is closed.  On X, you have to click twice: once
to close the menu and again to activate whatever widget your mouse is
now over.

The question is: what does Windows do here different from X?  Somehow
the application in question is notified that there is a click outside
the menu (thus closing it), but other apps still receive events just
fine.  Why can't X do something like this?

- Joel