A problem with Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 CGC [Chipset Graphics Control

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Sat Aug 2 09:49:54 PDT 2008

Gene Starwind wrote:

> ---------[ Received Mail Content ]----------
>> Subject : Re: A problem with Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller
>> Date : Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:53:20 -0400
>> From : Adam Jackson
>> To : Gene Starwind
>> Cc : xorg at lists.freedesktop.org
>>
>> On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 00:35 -0400, Gene Starwind wrote:
>>> I recently installed Debian etch on a new computer. The debian etch
>>> install is the updated July 26, 2008 install, so it's pretty recent.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, there is a problem. I'm stuck in this awful 640x480
>>> resolution with a 60hz refresh rate. Ugh. I'm feeling pretty screwed.
>>> I need to setup automatic login and an HP all-in-one scanner still.
>>> The windows don't adjust to the small resolution.
>>>
>>> Here is the output of lspci:
>> The X log output (in /var/log/Xorg.0.log) would be more useful.
>>
>> - ajax
>>

> ======================
> ======================
>
> Here is the additional information from /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> (II) I810(0): VESA VBE DDC read failed
The DDC read failed, which maybe causes
> (II) I810(0): ENVISˆ: Using default hsync range of 28.00-33.00 kHz
This range, which is a _very_ safe setting, modern Hardware protects
from overclocking anyway. I'd try manually specifying it, see man xorg.conf:

        HorizSync  horizsync-range
               gives the range(s) of horizontal  sync  frequencies
supported  by  the  monitor.
               horizsync-range may be a comma separated list of either
discrete values or ranges
               of values.  A range of values is two values separated by
a dash.  By default  the
               values  are  in units of kHz.  They may be specified in
MHz or Hz if MHz or Hz is
               added to the end of the line.  The data given here is
used by the Xorg server  to
               determine  if  video  modes  are  within the
specifications of the monitor.  This
               information should be available in the monitor's
handbook.   If  this  entry  is
               omitted, a default range of 28-33kHz is used.