which affordable ATI card?

Christoph Brill egore at gmx.de
Sat Aug 2 15:47:06 PDT 2008

Am Samstag, den 02.08.2008, 18:10 -0400 schrieb Gene Heskett:
> Greetings;
>
> Older radeon 9200SE video card, using the radeon driver here.
>
> With wine-1.0, google-sketchup-6 almost works, but will not open the work area
> of its screen, instead filling that portion of its screen with portions of
> other screens running on this box.
>
> Also its just barely fast enough to run google-earth.
>
> Which of these ATI cards is the fastest and most stable when running on the
> livna fglrx drivers?
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3101646&CatId=318
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3876340&CatId=318
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3101648&CatId=318
>
> Thanks everybody.

I'd rather recommend a HD3450 with 512MB ... but that PCI Express, but
available for ~32 € (which should be about 50 dollars). I think that a
reasonable price. R500 based ATIs are to expensive compared to the R600.
They seem to cost the same (in the lower price segments). And these
cards have no fan so they are completely silent. Take a look at
http://www4.atelco.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=20319 for example. I know,
it's from germany but I guess you can find similar ones.

Note also: Then drivers only support 3D up to R500 (R600+ is in the
works). And I can't really recommend the close source fglrx.

Regards,
  Christoph